IKO worked with Brindley Asphalt on a this school. The school has 900 pupils, works including replacing the defective waterproof covering, incorporating new tapered insulation to current building regulations and creating a falls to remove the drainage of the surface water. Also, replacement of windows and M&E plant to the kitchen area.
This was a highly complicated insulation design due to the deflection and back falls within the existing roof. The roof had several different interfaces such as adjoining roof level, rooflight and specialist M&E equipment.
COMPLEXITY AND WORKMANSHIP
There were many changes in elevation and some very neat workmanship was observed, the largest Insulation board was over 350mm deep. In most areas, tapered insulation schemes were designed to alter points/elevations of drainage run-off due to existing issues of ground level flooding experienced by site.
THE EXCEPTIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS ON COMPLETION OF THIS PROJECT WERE
- Major proportion of the work carried out during the 2020/21 winter months.
- Impacts of Covid19
- Removal of all surface water from a complex roof.
- The school remained in full operation and key access point was via central/core courtyard which involved critical management throughout contract to ensure both health and physical safety of pupils could be maintained
- Critical programme to our works as access route was to be lost due to new-build extension start date already having been agreed immediately abutting our roof areas
- Associated demolition of plant room and isolation of services was also undertaken